Sunday, March 21, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Mom

We went to the movies today to see the new movie “Diary of a Wimpy Kid.” It was a cute movie. I enjoyed it and the girls seemed to enjoy it also. There were four girls—friends of Autumn’s—and me and another mom. We bought snacks before hand and shared a large box of popcorn. The movie made me think of my years at middle school… although there really wasn’t a middle school, per se. We just went from sixth grade to 7th grade. 7th and 8th grades were in a separate section of school, but it was the same school, with a separate playground. Funny, but I don’t remember all the problems that this kid seemed to have. Guess it was because I had been going to elementary school with the same group of kids. There was only one class for each grade and since I had been going to the same school with most of the same kids since 4th grade, I don’t recall that there were the social problems that this kid experienced. We were all friends, although I did have a core group of close friends… we even remained friends through high school. High school is where the social awkwardness and cliques came in. I guess I was just lucky that I had my friends and didn’t bother much with who was popular or worry about being popular… guess it was pretty much understood that I wasn’t the “popular” type, nor did I want to be. But I was blessed with a great set of friends that made the “middle school” and high school years lots of fun. I can only hope that Autumn is blessed with good friends and no desire to be one of the “popular” kids--What most parents want for their kids, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment