Monday, March 8, 2010

What I've Learned about Motherhood

I watched a movie this weekend--Motherhood, with Uma Thurman and Anthony Edwards. I enjoyed it, but felt a bit irritated at Uma's character-so disorganized and rather selfish. In the movie, she was trying to win a contest by writing 500 words about what being a mother meant to her. That made me think, of course, what being a mother meant to me and what I've learned from becoming a mother. I thought about what I would write to win that contest... not that I got far... motherhood interfered with my writing fantasy :) Laundry and "what's for dinner" always trumps dreams of writing the ultimate essay. Later that night, I went back to thinking... I think I do that instead of sleeping :) Anyhow, I was asking myself what is the most significant thing that becoming a mother has taught me? I think it has taught me a new understanding of God's love for me. Since I didn't have the most ideal childhood, I had a hard time relating to the "father" part of God's love. When I became a mom, the light bulb lit up and I got it. How fierce and strong God's love is for me... how he desires that I grow in my relationship to him, and how it hurts him when he has to let me suffer the consequences of my choices. If the love and protection and fierceness of what I feel for my daughter is only a tiny portion of how God feels about his children... WOW!

1 comment: