Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Passing on a Legacy

Last week I talked about sewing doll clothes for Autumn’s dolls. Last evening I was sewing a patchwork pillow for my boss for her birthday. Autumn and her friend wanted to sew, so I had the privilege of showing them how to operate the sewing machine and serger. They were so cute! I gave them some scraps of fabric and away they went—stitching and cutting. I couldn’t make out what they were trying to create, but they were having fun! They jammed up the sewing machine a couple of times, but all-in-all, I think they had fun. It brought back memories for me of when I first learned to sew. I think I made a yellow silky rectangular bag like thing when I was about Autumn’s age. That was the beginning of my love of sewing, which has lasted over 40 years! I remember sitting with my grandmother and watching her operate her pedal sewing machine (no I’m not that old, she just like using it instead of her electric machine) to make quilt squares. I still have a couple of quilts she made, which I truly treasure.

To this day my heart beats a little faster when I visit a fabric store and I have to remind myself that I have plenty of stuff at home that I still need to make! When I was choosing fabric for the pillow I’m making, I desperately wanted to look at patterns and fabric to make Autumn an Easter dress, but I was good and walked out with only $6 in damages! One of my dreams is to have a house big enough for one room to be dedicated to sewing and to have all the fancy machines and equipment to sew anything I wanted (and the time to do so, of course). Well, for now, I’ll just be happy with my little sewing corner in the bedroom, and the joy of teaching my daughter how to sew!

1 comment:

  1. Carrie,
    Are you sure you don't want to be a writer? You're doing an excellent job with this blogg and I am loving getting to see this side of you again.

    ReplyDelete